So I picked up the actual D&D Miniatures Starter Set (the latest one, which has 4E-type rules, not the original 3E-based one). Mostly I wanted to get the five exclusive minis in the box, because I'm a mad collector nom nom nom. But it also comes with a d20, four nice maps, a rulebook, and some miscellaneous counters. So I figured, maybe I'll try these rules out.
I was very pleasantly surprised! I played a couple of double-handed games in about 45 minutes. I had imagined that the included creatures would be too basic to make an interesting game. But as it turned out, Wizards did a really good job of balancing the starter kit, and each game I played had a good balance of interesting tactical options and straightforward speed of play. I credit the maps, which are carefully crafted, and the lack of damage rolls. The fluid initiative system (initiative is re-rerolled every round) adds a surprising amount of interest.
I don't know how the game will change by adding in all the booster pack monsters — I imagine it will get a lot more crazy and complex, the way that Magic: the Gathering did. But at least as an inexpensive ($15) evening's distraction, the Starter Set gets an A.
1 comment:
I've played the game with built sides, and it actually works really well. It's just simplistic enough to play fast but just complicated enough to be mentally challenging and something you can play with numbers-wise if you feel the need. Plus, it's fun.
Post a Comment