Decoded Sivis Message
Therendor 1, 1001
To: Pel at the Wolves Reward
From: Lysander Llywellyn d’Phiarlan, abroad
My dear friend,
The information you have given comes as no great shock as you can well imagine. I will endeavor to inform you, as I may, what tidbits of delectable erudition I might uncover; although, by the ‘Marks, you certainly have learned a great deal without me.
The tour has gone remarkably well, I will speak more of that later. I have devised a rather clever satire on our enemy T, I will not draw his attention to this missive by name. I hope to let it slip to an arrogant piece of feculence from my opposing house who fancies himself something of a storyteller. It is quite good and I believe in his ignorance he might, in fact, perform it and draw out some of T’s followers, at least to give us an idea of what region he may have relocated to. To be fair, my conscience, as opposed to my will as ever, forced me to write that it might be dangerous to draw the attention of so great an evil. But as the milk faced pustule that I speak of is a prima donna of the first rank, I do not believe he can keep himself from performing and claiming the satire. In any case, I took great pains to write the piece in the style of Chlorana Sirellia, a great half-elven court bard in the early days of Galifar. I would, in fact, applaud myself if my hands weren’t already working on another chef d’ouevre as they say in Aundair.
On the other matter you mentioned, your desire to see me in your religion. Pel, my brother, for brother I name you indeed, you know I believe that your religion is the only one I would ever consider following as in your Patron all paths seem to come together. Also, I know by experience that he has manifested to you, in point of fact, to us. It is pointless to deny that he exists and is powerful. My reservations rise only at the point of the definition of a ‘god.’ However, recent inquiries have led me to understand that the Dragons have believed for some time that the positions held by the so called sovereign host are actually attainable by mortal beings. Well, to be fair, they believe they are Dragons. That’s just draconic arrogance at work. I’m an elf, I know arrogance. I believe that may be true, or that something greater is at work. I was taught that if there is a story, there must be a storyteller. I am willing to follow the tenets of your Patron until I learn the truth of his existence. The gods are a great mystery, one worth unraveling as they affect the story we live in, so yes, Pel, ready whatever ritual is necessary if the faith I have spoken of here is enough faith. I leave that in your hands.
In light of that, I have been telling The Tales of Travelin’ Jack. A series of (remarkably fresh) ‘folk tales’ base on the tenets and stories you have already shared with me. I ‘found’ them, in a creative sense, allegedly, while prospecting in the library stacks of an eccentric professor there at Morgrave. I have also begun sending them in written form to a friend in Korranberg to be printed in the Chronicle. It’s subversive and inclusive. I know you will approve.
I have also, of course, continued to spread the fame of our brotherhood and it’s illustrious adventures. Already, people ask for our tales and ballads. In five years, we will flow as freely as good beer in every tavern of the Five Nations and beyond. In twenty-five years we will be legends, possibly before.
The device has been well received. Although, as you predicted, one old goat of a dwarf asked me if I had any moving pictures of naked women. Cha! In truth, if Arenydee doesn’t return soon, I may be trying out the old goats idea myself. I do look forward to more conversations of its ‘business’ applications.
I should be hearing back from my couriers about X and the S very soon, although the information you already have is probably the most we can get. I will see what kind of deep contacts we have in the appropriate house as soon as may be. I have also been seeking information on the companion artifacts that are linked historically to the Songbow Arenydee and I liberated from the Halls of the Ancestors. Now there’s a ballad no one believes! Cha! Children! However, my brother, I feel inclined to believe that our society of Lupine Lords will still do such deeds as well shake Khorvaire for centuries.
I hope to return by the sixth of the month to play at the Tain Gala. Who knows what I may learn?
Until we meet: May your path be interesting and full of shadowed halls, sublime women, astonishing wine, and huge pots of gold!
Yours,
Lys
No comments:
Post a Comment