Friday, October 20, 2006

A conversation between friends

The following exchange occurred in Sharn, just before the beginning of The Grasp of Emerald Claw. Jason and I played it out by email, it was great fun and I've decided to post it for everyone's perusal. Hope you enjoy - just remember, your characters don't know this stuff ;)

Lysander contacts Pel in a private place, probably the back of the shop. Lys invites him to dinner up at Lys's place to discuss a few things. If Pel accepts, (which I expect:)), he provides an expensive meal (through my house contacts) and excellent wine, and proceeds with his, er, proposition. "Pel, I'll come straight to the point. My people want you to jump ship an come work for us....now, wait, hear me out. The money is good and the House is loyal, your race, of course, would not be an issue, except for the benefit of your powers. To this point, the House has not placed me in a compromising situation with the Wolves goals and, in fact, they have been very supportive of my role and given me a great deal of freedom. This is, to the point, the most uncomfortable assignment they have given me, because I know, friend Pel, that you have been a loyal friend to me, and to your current employers. It is your nature. But I ask you, my friend, to observe this opportunity with all of the intensity of your wit and sensitivity and to consider, yes consider thoroughly, what a team we would make, moving within the same orbit, as it were. By the Dragon, man, we would shake the very foundations of this land! Ha, ha! Can you not see it? As Wolves and partners in information, oh, the stories they will tell! YOu don't need to give me an answer now, I'll deal with the impatience of my superiors, and you will remain my friend and compatriot, no matter your decision. Now, relax, have some cheese."

Pel:

A proposition both interesting and enticing, my dear friend, even moreso in light of the fact that I also have one for you.

I'll just have another piece of this delicious cheese whilst I compose my thoughts.

*Pel smiles enigmatically*

Pel chews, takes a sip of wine...and begins.

"Blissful, elegant, angelic..where did you get this wine? No, don't tell, SOME secrets should NEVER be shared."

*ahem*

"At any rate, as I say, I've a proposal of my own. Something of a counter offer, as it turns out. I agree that our, ah, abilities are quite complimentary, and working in concert we could indeed affect the nature of things far and wide. Even the stories told by future bards would no doubt be incomplete as to our true influence."

Sip.

"But such is the nature of our profession, and I digress. What I would propose to you is not a change in employment for either of us, but, rather, an informal alliance between our two interests – your house and my, ah, organization, - with the two of us, you and I, my friend, as the linchpins in the agreement. The rings of the marriage, if you will."

Pours more wine for the both.

"We would be a clearinghouse of information. We would know EVERYTHING. We would be mighty resevoirs and control the flow, upstream and down."

*stares off glassy eyed for a moment*

"Dear me, I'm a bit flush...must be the wine. I think I'll have a bit more"

Sip.

"I believe the goals of our two interests can be complimentary, and do not, as far as I'm aware, often come into conflict or compete. Much could be gained by cooperation, and if we arrange things right, we'd both have two paychecks, instead of just the one."

"Now, in order to assure friendly cooperation from my organization, there'll need to be a, um, slight change in administration. As it happens, I'm currently conceiving of a plot...or rather a scheme *smile*...to bring just that about. If it all works, it would not only achieve that, but it would also blacken the eye of several of our enemies, set them at one another, and make us some money in the bargain."

"I haven't got all the details worked out yet. I could certainly use your assistance and that of your House, putting us all in good stead with rising elements in my own organization."

"Now, if you can speak for your...I wont say "superiors", that can't be true...let's call them your "elders"...if you can speak for them, and agree in spirit to my counter-proposal, I will tell you of my scheme."

Sip.

"AND, if that is the case, we'd best order up a strong pot of klava. It's rather complex. Also, I'll warn you now, it's risky, dangerous, foolhardy, devious, and will involve deceiving a great many people...possibly even some of our friends."

"For their own good, of course. More wine?"

Lysander:

Lysander summons a lute and begins to dance his fingers across the strings, a moderate tempo in a minor key. "Well, well." *closes eyes*

"You know, it thrills me when I listen to a piece of music and the second movement begins, a counter melody or an entirely new theme, and it takes me by surprise with it's elegance or it's boldness. I do hear the beauty of the harmony you propose, friend Pel, and it seems goodly to me to follow this golden thread of melody."

*stops playing, opens eyes*

"Yes, I believe this to be beneficial to both of our houses and of course, gainful to us. What then, my brother-in-secrets, do you propose? For, in truth, it sounds like, well........fun."

Pel:

*grins*

"It pleases me my dear friend that we can sing thus in concert. If I may venture a solo, I believe I can sketch out the bones of a tune upon which you may create such lovely variations as have yet to grace a living ear."

*bows slightly*

"Who number the enemies of the Wolves? I would count among them the Emerald Claw, certain minions of the Lord of Blades, and, most recently and unfortunately, Sharri d'Deneith, and those loyal to her cause. She hates us unjustly, and while I honestly wish her no harm, I would thwart her equally unjust designs of revenge against us."

"The Claw and Blades wish us ill, requitedly, and mostly to do with this Schema they desire."

"I also have a personal enemy, and I'll confide in you some details, as a show of mutual trust and admiration. As you're aware, I've a close contact in a local organization named the Tyrants, who deal mainly in information and flesh, and mainly outside the law. That contact is closer than you may know, however, for he is in fact my father."

"He is currently the lieutenant of a certain Cord Lanner. This human has recently caused some difficulty for the Tyrants, embroiling them in a turf war with ogre gangs in the Lower Dura. He's on thin ice, and, as he once bade me kill this same father of mine who is now under his command, I bear him no love."

"Were Lanner removed, my father would assuredly take his place, giving us a most trusted, loyal, well-placed and grateful ally among the Tyrants."

"Now that you know the players in this drama, if I may style it such, shifting slightly from our musical metaphor, allow me to begin to recite for you their lines."

*ahem*

"The Schema we possess will be "stolen". Burglarized as it were. It will find it's way to my father, who will broker a deal with a "buyer" for the item, and be about to arrange delivery, when Lanner will "overhear" about the deal and decide to usurp control of the proceedings, and keep the profits and prestige for himself."

"Lanner, or his designees, will rendezvous with the "buyer" to make the exchange. However, they will be ambushed during the meeting by Warforged in service to the Lord of Blades. During this imbroglio, several members of the "Emerald Claw" will also appear, and these will make off with the Schema, making the whole thing a bust."

"Lanner, IF he survives, will be seen to've very badly botched it, which should be the last straw for his employ. If need be, my father could "recover" the item, strengthening his own position. The Lord of Blades will beleive that the Emerald Claw have it, thus potentiating a fued between the two. They'll also both then think that the Wolves no longer possess the Schema, and perhaps leave us be about it."

"Sharri d'Deneith will also take a blow, because the Blademark bodyguards that the "buyer" hired from her will fail their duty, thus compromising her and making her less able to seek her revenge."

*pause for breath and a sip of wine*

"Obviously, all is not as it seems. Now, would you like to hear the rest of the song, or can you name that tune?"

Lysander:

Lysander rises from his chair, walks out onto the terrace, whistling, then laughs as he turns back to Pel, returning to his seat.

"I almost believe I begin to perceive the theme. In fact, I am utterly convinced of it! And we happen to possess all of the proper instruments! What a stroke of providence that you should compose such a melody at this time! Ah, yes, that will make them dance! So, I understand rhythm and the step, but what of the players? Our friends can play, but would they ever consent to such a merry tune? Or is this to be a duet, supported by hired players who are talented enough to play with the leads? In any case, the score suits my style, bar by bar. Yes, friend Pel, I had believed that our relationship would prove beneficial, and now, well, I almost convinced of it! We should start this little ditty smartly, as our lives have been anything but predictable of late."

Pel:

"Our friends will have their parts to sing to be sure, but only you and I will know the full score, being the producers and conductors, as it were, of this little opera."

"The first act is pre-production. We'll make a forgery (or perhaps two) of the Schema, secreting the original safely. This facsimile will be the "stolen" item. It will differ only slightly from the original, not enough to be detected, but enough that it wouldn't function should it get away from us."

"The theft will have to appear genuine to our comrades. It's possible I may need to be "mugged". These details can be worked out later. The important part is that it's heard about."

"You and I will "investigate" the crime and "discover" the rendezvous. One of us, probably you, being the more persuaive, will suggest the Wolves disguise themselves as Emerald Claw to affect the items recovery."

"These Emerald Wolves will arrive on the scene, well-heeled, as the battle between the Warforged, Lanner's guards and the Deneith guards is well underway. We'll join in this three way fight, win, recover the "Schema" and abscond away."

"The "buyer" should be an undercover agent from your House who arrives from afar with lots of gold, and some bodyguards. He (or she) will stand back in the fight, but his gold will be taken (by us) and he may have to receive some small injury, for veracity sake, before escaping (especially from us) with his life. Afterwards he'll complain loudly and publicly about the inadequacy of his hired protectors. Black eye, Sharri."

"The Warforged will be actual real agents of the Lord of Blades. After the "schema" is "stolen", intelligence will reach their metallic ears about the time and place of the meeting, and the strength of the forces there. They won’t be able to resist such a temptation."

"It's important that the Warforged hear about it but the actual Emerald Claw don't - at least until the Lord of Blades comes knocking on their door. I think my contacts should be able to affect the proper flow of information, as this scheme is, after all, in their best interests."

"We will of course have all the necessary information from the "buyer", as he is our creature."

"The expense of this little venture should be split between your House and mine. Think of it as a signing bonus, bridge-building."

"All of this will take a little time to set up, of course - all the instruments will need to be properly tuned before we can begin to play - but if we manage this symphony of deception, my friend, oh, can you imagine?"

Lysander:

"Not only can I imagine it, my brother, I can very nearly taste it! Your deity should be proud of his spokesman! Trickster, indeed! I will begin the necessary preparation for my part. Do we have an artificer in mind for this job? Or should we be looking? Persuasion should not be a problem as at that point I can reveal the expected effect of the "Claw" retrieving the "Schema." Nicely planned, my friend, and soon, nicely played I am sure."

There was more discussion into the night, but alas, the song was left unsung, thwarted by the the treachery of the evil Emerald Claw. I hate those guys!

2 comments:

Paul Benjamin said...

Blood of the horse! I nearly think this exchange is worthy of Sir Paarfi of Roundwood himself. In fact, I more than think it, I say so.

And yet, for all your intended treachery and scheming (all to the ultimate good, of course) your new composition went awry at some point. It remains unclear as to the exact circumstances. If Pel's loss of the scema was a ruse, how did it fall into the hands of the Emerald Claw and make its way to Xen'drik?

Come, is there not some way to turn the train of events onto a track more to our advantage? To grasp some victory against various elements and enemies from the shards of the shattered creation pattern?

Or is it all the work of the Traveler that your plan that gone awry in fact led Brand, an unknowning pawn, directly to the father he has never met? Could Traega d'Orien and his contacts in Xen'drik be allies unintended and, more importantly, unknown to the factions at odds with the Wandering Wolves?

Chris said...

Ah, but the plan, you see, did not in fact go awry - it was never begun!

Pel and Lys could not execute their ruse, b/c, in fact, the actual schema was most honestly lost.

Pel was quite perturbed at this turn of events - the very item needed to perpetuate his ploy snatched away at the moment it was required. (And if Randy hadn't been running a module, I'd've thought he done it on purpose, him being privy to the conversation.)

Pel is sure another plot can be (in deed, must) be hatched. All that's needed is a bit of inspiration for the pieces to fall into place. The Schema, it seems, was meant for another purpose. Pel does percieve the hand of the Traveler in this, and in Brand's patriarchal reunion.

He walks among us, his motives know to him alone.

Blog Archive