In order to help me with planning, can folks make sure and update their characters on the blog sometime in the next couple of weeks? If nothing else, if everyone could post in the comments what level you are (I believe everyone but Pel is 10th, but Pel may have reached 10th as well), that would be much appreciated.
Does everyone have a backup character that they might want to play in place? If not, it might be worth making one just in case.
Backup characters will always be built one level behind the average level of the party, which as of the last adventure is now level 10. This does mean that resurrection, even though it costs a level, is just as viable an option as a backup character, *if* you can find someone to resurrect you. You will have the XP in the middle between the level you are and the level of the rest of the party.
So currently, if you build a backup character, that character is level 9, and has 40,500 XP. You can spend as much of that XP as you want on building magic items if you have Crafting feats, as long as you don't exceed the cash limits for those items.
Which are: You will start with the wealth indicated on the Character Wealth by Level table (DMG, p. 135). Currently, that is 36,000 gp. You can spend up to 19,000 gp on a weapon (up to +3) or up to 16,000 on any one other magic item (no more than +3 armor, in other words). Other than that, no more than 9000 gp on any one item. This means that with the exception of the one special bonus item, you're limited to +2 weapons and armor. In addition, any wondrous item that costs more than 2500 gp, or any item that comes from a source other than the main Eberron book or the DMG, is subject to GM approval. You'll probably get it, but I reserve the right to say no.
I'm also instituting a new house rule regarding death. Instead of dying at -10, your character now dies if you exceed your Constitution score in negative hit points. This will make you considerably more durable and a little more resistant to instant kills, I hope.
17 comments:
I'm considering making a new backup character, since I can't really see Rochus joining the Wolves now (unless he leaves House Kunderack).
Yeah, I had the same thought. This outlaw status quo won't last forever, but you might want a different backup character just in case. Maybe somebody native to Xen'drik?
I'll see what I can come up with.
I think Pel just made 10th last session. He should now be Rogue 5, Cleric 5.
For backup, how about I update that Bone Knight that I made and that the Karnathi Ambassador is going to send us as help?
Sorry to rain on the parade and screw up all your calculations, Randy, but Brand is still 9th level. That said, he is a mere 1,308 exp. from leveling, so he should go up after one more session. Therefore, I think it is safe for everyone to make their back up characters at 9th.
For my back up, I'm not 100% sure I want to play Diarmand D'Deneith. While it would make sense for him to track us to Xen'drik, he's just feeling a little like Brand-lite in combat. But I do have him at 8th level (Rogue 2/Fighter 5/Duelist 1) if you ever want to use him as an NPC.
I'm also considering the Native's diplomat, Yanesh Hite, but I've created him at 7th per your original direction. Would it be okay to level him to 9th?
FYI, I also have a sheet done for Saia Borath. She's 6th level. I have not yet put together a sheet for Medrea, who is 7th (and a Drow, which I think is ECL 8th or 9th).
Another possiblity would be Tworock. He's currently 7th. I guess the question is this: Do you want me to raise the level of the Native's posse members? Or do you just want me to create a 9th level version of whomever I use as a back up? That way you can have them at their NPC level and I can have them at 9th if I need a back up.
Chris, still not convinced the Bone Knight would fit in with the Wolves. Might be better to scale him back to 5th level and use him in the Eyes of the Lich Queen adventure. Not saying you can't level him up, just thinking it'd be a weird fit.
Paul, please email me all info you have on The Native's crew in Xen'drik... I suspect it will come in handy soon. As for leveling, that second thing you mentioned... create a 9th level version of whichever one you want to use, but leave him at the current level for NPC use.
Thinking about creating an Imupre Prince or Renegade Masterworker (I think I got those names right), both from Magic of Eberron. They both have a sense of weird I think might fit in well with Xendrick.
what's an "Imupre"? Is that Spanish?
PFFFFT!
Randy said... "Chris, still not convinced the Bone Knight would fit in with the Wolves."
hmmm...possibly, but for that matter i can't really think of what kind of character (or what kind of char YOU think) would "fit in" with the WW.
no character that comes in now will have any history with the group, which is partly why Maechen felt he didn't fit in, and if one of us falls there's not anyone that will be able to really take his place. quite a quandary.
so basically i'm saying i don't really buy that argument. i will not press the issue however.
so how about one of those warrior elf dudes from the desert or wherever they're from? with the double scimitar thingies...though i probably wouldn't take that specialty b/c i think it looks sort of dumb and gay. i'm seeing more spear and shield, lance maybe, a little mounted combat.
my idea is that he's kind of a glory seeker, knight errant, out to make his name - which i think fits in with their culture. he heard about how awesome we were, probably from a bard somewhere, and decided he would try to find us and join up as that's the obvious path to fame and adventure.
our current outlaw, underdog status would turn him on even more since those guys are very much into the "against impossible odds" scene. he could very easily be in Xen'drik seeking adventure.
he's definitely a fighter, maybe some ranger or paladin thrown in. i remember thinking that the prestige class for those guys kind of sucked. it was pretty much all about the double scimitar.
personality wise he's basically kind of a jock...hot head, ego driven, wastrel tendencies, a bit vain. not especially bright, but quite the badass. anyway, that's my idea.
as i've said before, the point is moot b/c Pel is NOT GOING TO DIE AGAIN!!!
I'm thinking Cyran fighter, total burnout emotionally, lost his entire family or believes them dead, in any case they've all been missing since the day. Not a glory seeker but an absolute angry piece of ice with no regard for his own safety and no real fear of death. He fights because he's good at it and he waits, waits for the day that he can strike some blow for the loss of his people. Fighting style would be totally balls to the wall, no thought to style points or drama. Quick and deadly. He would end up with the wolves because they were going the same direction or he feels like maybe they could lead him the right way. Very death aspected and grim.
or......
Halfing barbarian/rogue, boramar background now but grew up in the sticks with fido or whatever the name of his critter would be. Again, pretty freewheeling and adrenal, the guy that would be a wolf because it was fun and he made everyone laugh, so they would forget their grief over the loss of the good friend Lysander.
I agree with Pel, though.
Lysander Lives!
A possibility to consider for future Eberron games, whichever of the WW survive, is a sort of Junior Wandering Wolves Adventuring Academy. A guild within the guild as t'were, in which the WW promote/endorse promising candidates who share our general philosophy (whatever that is) and sense of professionalism. Our fame would help them get jobs that are too small potatoes for the WW. Kind of goes hand in hand with sholarship idea.
It also could serve as a kind of warehouse for alternate pc's and an npc resource for the main group. As Pel is working towards the leadership feat it might be something worth considering.
Membership benefits of the JWWA would of course include the cache of being associated with the WW, and access to high end clientele. We might also institute an insurance policy, travel discounts (once our Orien difficulties get cleared up), gear discounts at Gareth's restored Adventurer's Emporium, access to intel/info/research/spellbook stuff.
I'm thinking no membership dues, per se, but the organiztion would receive a % of the value of any treasure/fees that come from a job taken thru the JWWA. These monies would go back into any maintenance costs associated with running the org.
Treasure that's kept, like that magic ring you just couldn't part with, would not be subject to this "tax".
not just any shlub can join, of course. there'll be rigorous background checks, tests and maybe some initiation rituals. Gotta get jumped in and you can't go fouling up our rep, yo.
Theoretical Backup Characters, Then:
1. If Luggoth Dies - An Impure Prince or Renegade Mastermaker
2. If Lysander Dies - A Cyran Fighter with a bit of a deathwish or a Halfling Barbarian/Rogue with a dinosaur sidekick
3. If Pel Dies - Pel won't die again. But if he does, a Bone Knight or a Valenar Warrior Elf
4. If Brand Dies - Yanesh Hite the Monk/Diplomat or Tworock the Psionic Fighter
Only problem I see (and Chris, I bow to your logic on the Bone Knight and who's going to fit in with the Wolves) is that you guys are fighter heavy in terms of backup. Only a little bit of rogue, no pure magic, no cleric. You guys generally get by with wands and stuff, so it's not *too* big of a deal, but some of you might think about a magic/cleric alternative.
Nate already killed my favorite mage alternative and ate his soul to boot. I'm not sure I could come up with one I like better than Aerich.
Well, I would consider playing a wizard or sorceror. I'd need to work out the kinks in my thinking for Eberron though. Cleric......man, I don't know. I like the Traveller of course, but not a big fan of the flame or the soveriegn host. I could maybe run a favored soul of some little known cult or some kind of Dragon cleric, that sounds interesting. It's the only thing that has never captured me in Eberron.
I've always wanted to run a Mystic Theurge and the druids are veryk interesting.
Post a Comment