Saturday, March 12, 2011

58. Wandering Wolves: Transition (9 Months Pass)

Nymm 18, YK 1000 - Therendor 10, YK 1001 (Early Spring)

Everyone:
The departure of Brand and Luggoth has led to a temporary dissolution of the Wolves as an adventuring band, although with Sivis messaging, Orien teleportation and Lyrandar airships, not to mention the considerable resources of the Wolves themselves, they remain in contact with one another.

Pel and Lysander both spend part of their time at the Wolves' Reward, but a lot of their time traveling and attending to their various intelligence duties. William also spends some time at the Wolves' Reward, but he spends some time in Karrnath at various House Deneith enclaves and a lot of time running down fugitives with Resolute.

Luggoth spends several months away in Argonnessen, and then returns to Xen'drik, where he joins Brand's new Native organization. Brand has spent some time on Khorvaire in the new identity Baron Kwanti d'Orien set up for him, but he has found not only that the Native's organization takes up a great deal of his time, but that he has fallen in love with the wilds of Xen'drik much like his father before him.

Lysander:
Lysander's "crystal recorder" project comes to fruition, and he begins another tour of Khorvaire to show it off. The secondary goal of this tour is to uncover information about Xulo and Ttemmal, the two threats at large that are moving against the Wolves.

Arenydee has been undercover for House Phiarlan, and Lysander hasn't seen her in almost a year.

William:
Perhaps most notable is that William has wooed and married Karolina d'Orien, a member of the Wolves' Reward guard. Shortly after that, Karolina proves herself a capable security officer to Maresh, enough that when Diarmand d'Deneith changes jobs, Karolina is promoted to be one of Maresh's three lieutenants heading up aspects of casino security.

Diarmand d'Deneith, by his own request, becomes more of a wandering advocate for the casino, traveling throughout Khorvaire and picking up rumors that could be useful or dangerous to the casino and its owners. He still spends a great deal of time at the Wolves' Reward, but his new unofficial deputy status lets him hear a lot more of the good underworld gossip when he is there.

While doing bloodline research in Karrnath with his mother, William discovers that Lady Hellena Tarkanan, one of the assassins who they met first in Darguun and again on the train trying to kill Aeromus, is a cousin who fell from House Deneith after she was turned into a vampire by a Cult of the Blood of Vol.

Pel:
Pel builds up an expansive spy network throughout civilized Khorvaire and a Traveler cult/spy network in less savory areas like the Shadow Marches, Droaam, Darguun and Q'barra. He also begins a "relationship" of sorts with Sora Katra. He learns through channels that his half-brother Xain is moving up in the ranks of the Bilge Rats, and he keeps tabs on the Bilge Rats through Brand's contacts in Stormreach.

Delano:
With Brand off in Xen'drik, Delano has taken over as Orien liaison to the Wolves' Reward. He has also learned that his fate may be intertwined with theirs by the Draconic Prophecy, when arcane research leads him to realize that Ttemmal, the Rakshasa who has bedeviled the Wolves in the past, is the Khyber's Claw (lieutenant) of the Rajah known as the Wyrmbreaker, the very same Rajah that Delano made his pact of power with, who now seeks Delano's death or enslavement.

Luggoth/Brand:
Luggoth returns from Argonessen by way of Xen'drik and joins Brand's new "Native" organization, which is much more heavily driven by House Orien. The two of them learn that Ttemmal, who has more animus for Luggoth than the rest of the Wolves, may be scheming in Xen'drik now.

Questions? Comments? Plans and Schemes?

11 comments:

Dan said...

Well, that settles that, then. Ttemmal needs to die, before he comes after Delano.

Ben said...

Cool! Also, I think I had mixed up Diarmand with Delano. It's Diarmand that William thought was unworthy to be a Blademark. He has no ill will towards Delano, just a wary respect.

William's probably thinking about becoming a father, but hasn't yet pursued it because of his various duties. But someday soon he'll want a son above all else. Whether and with what intensity Karolina shares the desire for children I leave up to the DM.

Paul Benjamin said...

Sweet! I'll have to figure out Brand's plan but I'm wondering if it would be prudent to ask Luggoth if he'd be willing to escort the Native's diplomat Yanesh Hite to see the giants at the arctic place where we restored William's humanity. With Xulo at large and Lords of Dust stirring it might be nice to have some giants with an enormously powerful artifact on our side.

Randy Lander said...

Only problem with that plan is that none of the Wolves can remember where that place is. Unlike the rest of the world, you remember that it exists, but part of the spell was that you can't find your way back.

Dan said...

I have no idea how to do this, but I want to find out everything I can about Ttemmal, particularly about any weaknesses he might have. Also, since I think we get our power from the same source, is there any way I can track him that way?

Uncle Staple said...

Going back through the last couple adventures a couple questions/ideas come up:

1. Aeromus knew, or claimed to know, that Pel was posing as Viorr. As far as Pel knows, only maybe 3 people other than him are supposed to have that information - Kalibar, Captain Vron, and Lord Kor. It may be a little above his pay grade, but he'd REALLY like to know if/how that got passed on.

Even though Aeromus is out of the picture, it might be worthwhile to try and figure out who his high placed backers were in House Orien, for future ref and to maybe "back-trace the signal", as it were. Maybe put some dis-informational “barium” in the system to see where it goes.

If there are any other avenues of discreet inquiry that can be made, please advise.

Very, very discreet, as always.

If Pel works on this for a while and still comes up empty, he will consider talking directly with Lord Kor about it. There is obviously a leak somewhere, and if it's not LK himself, it could be very well be someone in his office.

And, sometimes these leaks require a sharp, steel plug.

2. Xulo: This seems like the biggest long term threat we have right now. I have a couple strategies in mind.

a. Where is the pattern? Last I recall we gave it to Lady Elaydren, right? I would assume she passed it on higher up in House Cannith, so can we find out who has it now? Per the future we saw, someone in that House experimented (or rather, is GOING TO experiment) with it, causing the disruption we witnessed.

Which brings up these thought and questions:

Does Pel (or Lysander) have access to any operatives (DL or Traveler) that are placed in House Cannith?

Can we just ask Lady Elaydren directly?

How high up should we ask for help with this? I have an instinct that the fewer people that are aware this thing exists, the better. Once we can determine WHERE it is, we can try to figure out what to do about it. Bringing me to:

b. Destruction pattern…? What in hell CAN we do with this thing once we’ve found it? I don’t think it will be good enough (if it’s even possible) to just talk whoever has it out of trying to use it. It may have possessed them somehow. Also, just smashing it up is probably insufficient. My thought is, can something be made that will counter it somehow, either nullifying it or utterly destroying it? I would like to engage Tock and Elias Volan in researching this. Anyone else have a suggestion?

3. Ttemmal: Dick! Dickdickdick!!! Dickthatmustdie!!! Damn, how I hate him!

So if we think he is in Xen'drik, I think we need to get over there asap and end his ass.

The WW site says “Ceranda d'Phiarlan believes that Ttemmal has adopted another identity inside the hierarchy of the Silver Flame, but House Phiarlan has been unable to determine that identity.” Any progress on ID’ing him?

And the interlude post says “The two of them (Luggoth and Brand) learn that Ttemmal, who has more animus for Luggoth than the rest of the Wolves, may be scheming in Xen'drik now.”

How can we assess the quality and origin of this intelligence? Who else do we have on the ground there that can check on stuff? Traveler Cultists, maybe?

Is there a way I can maneuver a conflict between Ttemmal and the Bilge Rats? B/C that would be sweet. Heh.

Is Xain following in our father’s footsteps and working with him already?

4. Spies and more spies: So Pel has like a shitload of agents now. I likey. I am going to dig through the archives and see if I can find the stuff you had sent before about that and start a spreadsheet or something to keep track of them. I will send you it. I am sure there have been changes and additions since then.

5. Xain: I am watching you, son. I will send him a birthday card on his birthday. Is there such a thing as a singing telegram?

6. Sora Katra: Really? This is very, very interesting. Pel will try his best to compartmentalize his business and personal affairs (ahem), but you know, there always a lot of grey area with him. I bet she is a demon in the sack.

Uncle Staple said...

one more thing from a previous email exchange:

"9. Is Moloch, the former organizer of the Six Stones tournaments for The Daask, still around?

Yep. Still running his Six Stones tournaments, and his Dreamlily drug operations."

it seems to Pel that this guy is way, way too not dead.

also occurs to him that Dreamlilly and Cockatrices are a very dangerous combination. unfortunate accidents have been known to happen, especially if someone is "getting high on his own supply", and trying to pet the magical chickens that can turn you to stone.

i'm sure his subordinates will observe a respectful period of grieving before collecting the insurance (ahem), and picking up the business where he left off. the show must go on, after all.

Paul Benjamin said...

As Brand establishes himself as the Native, he'll contact Hackrazet and work with him to learn more about the threat of Xulo. However, given that Hackrazet once worked for the Lords of Dust, I won't involve him in our search for Ttemmal. Xulo is a common threat but who knows where Hackrazet's true loyalties lie.

I'd like to ask Luggoth to work with Yanesh Hite (the Native's diplomat monk) to try to track down Ttemmal in Xen'drik. A combination of sweet talking and head bashing may be exactly what we need.

Meanwhile, Brand will work with Saia and the Native's Drow oracle to see if we can find any trace of Traega's soul. Do we have access to whatever Aeromus took from the female assassin to use as a magical link for scrying?

It's also worth noting that Brand is hoping to keep Saia busy and away from any activities related to folks with abberrant dragonmarks. He doesn't want to confront her as that would likely lead to a fight. Better to show his feelings by the action of giving up his life in Khorvaire for her. Still, it would be best if she weren't rousing the ire of the Dragonmarked houses for a while.

Ben said...

Jeez. I can't keep up with you guys. Just point me at something to hit with a stick.

Uncle Staple said...

this is why we love William.

Randy Lander said...

Apparently, my long-ass response for Pel, Delano, Brand and William was too long for comments. So I made it a post:

http://austingame.blogspot.com/2011/03/58a-transition-part-two.html