Saturday, October 14, 2006

Eberron Campaign Notes & Questions - PLEASE READ and COMMENT

First of all, one last move on the schedule. We're going to go ahead and start Cthulhu on the last week of November, so that hopefully everybody can be there. Character creation shouldn't take that long, and I think Mat is hoping to get us started that same night, so it's best if everyone who is going to play is there for it. Also, there is apparently a "credits sequence" of sorts not unlike the Eberron slideshow I did for you guys originally, and you'll all want to be there for that. So hopefully everybody can make the last weekend in November?

So check the schedule. I changed the last week of October to be sort of a casual hang out day, watch movies/DVDs, play some D&D miniatures maybe, play some PS/2 games, that kind of thing. First week of November Borat opens, and I'm definitely going to see it at the Drafthouse... anyone who wants to come is welcome.

Now then... since we have some time before the next Eberron game, I wondered if y'all would answer some questions in the comments. Help me figure out what to do next in the campaign!

Favorites:
Do me a favor and indicate your favorite, and feel free and include a least favorite as well.

Favorite Villain: Doesn't matter if they're alive or dead, it'll help me figure out what you guys like in a villain

Favorite Location: Specific (the Ruined Giant Citadel in VOTGD) or general (Trolanport, The Mournland) equally welcome. Please feel free to name more than one.

Favorite Adventure: Self-explanatory here

Moments:
If y'all could give me five of your favorite moments from the campaign thus far, either ones that happened to your character, someone else's character, or the party of the whole, that would help me in developing the future adventures.

I'd Like to See:
Tell me about any monsters or organizations you think you'd like to run into, which nations of Eberron you'd like to explore and anything you'd like to see more of. Dragonmarked House intrigue? A mission from House Phiarlan? Trouble and strife in the crime families of Sharn? Dungeon crawling through ruins in Xen'drik, the Mournlands, the Demon Wastes, etc.?

Character Goals:
If any of you have goals for your characters, whether short-term or long-term, let me know so I can plan for those as well.

10 comments:

Nate Southard said...

Favorite Villain: Lucan was great fun. Slippery bastard, he was. I'm excited about the potential for William as a villain, though.

Location: The Mournland. The entire atmosphere was great fun for me.

Adventure: Whisper of the Vampire's Blade. I really think we clicked on this one, with Lucan's many escapes giving us a real sense of the chase.

1. Crashing the first airship
2. Cloud Giant Battle!
3. The reveal of Vamp WIlliam.
4. The Carrion Crab in The Mournland
5. Anytime Luggoth gets to tear humans apart.

Luggoth is obiously bot too into Intrigue. Crawling through Xen'drick or The Mournland would be great. He's probably also like a Silver Flame oriented adventure.

Paul Benjamin said...

Favorite Villain: For me, Lucan was the best. He was a more complex villain because he was somewhat sympathic. Plus he was a challenge because he was powerful and yet we had to take him alive. I'm also intrigued about William.

Least Favorite Villain: The generic warforged. It would be nice to see some of them fleshed out (so to speak) to be more complex than just robots built for battle.

Favorite Location: Xen'drik has a sense of danger and mystery that I find especially interesting. I have also enjoyed traveling to far flung destinations and seeing new cities and towns and such. The social events in Sharn are also great fun.

Least Favorite Location: I missed the bulk of the Mournlands (I was gone for the Carrion Crab fight), but the part I experienced just felt a little one note. That said, the occassional foray could be interesting.

Favorite Adventure: Whisper of the Vampire's Blade had a great sense of adventure, urgency, danger, intrigue and the thrill of the chase.

Least Favorite Adventure: The first one was too simple. Of course, we were first level so I don't know if this note is terribly helpful.

Best Moments:

1. I'm biased, but I loved Brand's reunion with his dad. I never would have seen it coming and it was a perfect character-based moment that turned doom into something cool.

2. Pel disguised as a drunk student to gather information. These moments are difficult to choreograph, but I real enjoy it when there are lots of people to interact with and the way we build our own stories by role playing those scenes.

3. The battle vs. the Emerald Claw at the quarry with the rest of us waiting as they came hot on Lysander's heels. Also the battle with the Emerald Claw at Whitehearth. There's nothing like 5 people (with some help from a wolf pack) taking on an army.

4. Crashing the first airship (and Lysander's incredible escape).

5. The costume ball of all things. Getting in was a bit of a pain, but once we got inside it was cool to have lots of character interaction leading up to a cool fight.

As for what I'd like to see more of, I'm definitely looking forward to playing Brand again and learning more about his father's world within Xen'drik. I'd also like to take on Brand's adversary in House Orien.

Even though neither Brand nor Tworock is particularly built for intrigue, I've really enjoying playing them in those situations and I'd like to see more of the criminal underworld.

I'm looking forward to going up against William and attempting to find him that cure for undeath.

I'd also like to do something new and go on the offensive against the Emerald Claw. Those guys are tools and I think we've reached a point where it would be in character to decide to try to cripple their organization. I mean, we can't really piss them off any more than we already have!

Tworock doesn't really have any goals except for travelling the world and going beyond the next horizon. He says, "The world has it's own plans for me. It would be disrespectful to disrupt those with plans of my own."

On the other hand, Brand would very much like to reinstate his father's place in House Orien, or at least remove the threat to his dad so that Traega and Brand's mom can be together again.

Nate Southard said...

Oops! I lost forgot to post some goals for Luggoth.

For years, Luggoth has searched for any survivors of his tribe, and has found no one. He has also searched for the identities of his tribe's killers, and has learned nothing other than they were Silver Flame (at least, that's what he's been told by others; he has little in the way of proof). Luggoth would like to search for more information about his history, and he wants to find those respoisble for the death of his family.

Randy Lander said...

Paul,

Do you have a preference as far as playing Brand or Tworock? I ask because with you guys in Xen'drik, it'd be really easy to swap Brand back in. Since he's essentially a backup character at this point, you could bump his XP up to 24,500 and pick up with him during the Xen'drik adventure.

Think about it and let me know sometime in the next month or two, so I know what to plan for the Xen'drik adventure when we resume Eberron. As a GM, my preference is for Brand, since he has so many more ties to the Wolves and an interesting subplot of his own with Orien, but I can see plenty of use in Tworock as well, so I'm mostly neutral.

Randy Lander said...

Oh, and just so you know, Brand has now spent just over a month in Xen'drik with his father.

Paul Benjamin said...

Though Brand is not as tough in a fight as Tworock (especially with Whitehearth on another continent), he does have a lot more story hooks. I also enjoy his history with the Wolves and think that he'll be more fun for everyone, me especially. Though Tworock is lots of fun too, I'd like to commit to playing Brand now so that you can plan accordingly.

I can bump up his experience points as suggested to equal other back up characters. Should I add up his existing possessions and bump him to the 7th level 19,000 gp? (2800 gp in liquid form.) My ballpark guess it that this will give him around 4,000 to spend on an item or two, subject to your approval, of course.

Randy Lander said...

That sounds fair to me.

By the way, Jason, Chris, chime in on favorite moments, etc. here when you get a chance!

I've started doing some of the planning for the next adventures based on what I've heard so far, and I've got plenty of ideas that hopefully everybody will like.

Chris said...

OK, here's my comments. I'd have posted sooner but Ive been making notes and reviewing all the adventure logs, which I printed out - over 50 pages!

Villian:

Lucan was a great bad guy, especailly since he wasn't entirely bad. Very slippery and complex. The chase was nicely challenging and frustrating and I even felt a little bad about turning him over. I'm curious as to his ultimate fate.

I also liked Garrow. He kept showing up to plague us, and then his reveal of actually being a changeling was great.

Location:

I really dug the creepy atmosphere of the Mournland and all its inherent dangers. Very exciting.

I also like just running around in Sharn. It's very rich in detail, intrigue and possibilty. Lot's of great NPC's, locations and resources.

Adventure:

I've enjoyed all of them, really, so it's hard to pick a fave. Whisper o/t Vampire's Blade, had lot's of really cool moments, with an intense sense of urgency and the thrill of the chase.

Moments:

I have more than five - in no particular order except the first.

1. Pel's religious experience and or subsequent discovery of the priestly gear. I like it when story stuff and game stuff coincide synchronistically like that.

2. Similarly, the whole episode of rescuing the wolves, fighting alongside them (packs are badass), and Brand getting Whitehearth was very cool - and also inspired the party's name! Yet another reason to like the Mournland.

3. Picking up Elias at the Guild Hall. I like the idea of a the Wolves having a protege.

4. William punching the carcass crab to death. Just cool.

5. Lysander falling down the chimney - a genuine "Oh shit!" moment.

6. The airship crash - BOOM! - and Lysander's amazing survival.

7. Diarmand d'Deneith's dramatic, if brief, entrance and exit. Very swashbuckling.

8. The ball in Trolanport - scheming our way in, shmoozing the crowd, Pel's dance/chat with the ambassador (what is that cutie up to these days, anyway?), the big fight. A great session.

9. Lysander and Pel's secret conversation. Fun extracurricular roleplay - I've compiled and will post it for everyone's amusement.

I'd like to see:

Lot's of stuff. I'll have to restrain myself here or I'll take up pages. Mainly though:

1. Similar to what Paul stated about Emerald Claw, I like us to have the opportuunity to be a more proactive in pursuing our goals. Starting shit instead of just reacting to it. In those cases GM'ing would probably be less prepatory and more improvisatory, I'd imagine.

2. In general I'd just like to see more stuff we haven't seen yet. Places we've not been to, people, cultures and organizations we've not dealt with. New stuff is always fun.

3. A return to the Mournland would be interesting. Lot's of stuff laying around there, I bet.

4. Halflings on dinosaurs!!!

5. Darguun seems like a good place to get in trouble. The Demon Wastes scare me. What about those freaky Elves on that island? House Tharask. The Dark Lanterns. Phiarlan, yeah.

6. Just a regular old treasure hunt would be very cool.

7. Don't forget - I'm a priest of an enigmatic god, who is the only one beleived to atually physically walk on Eberron. That's gotta be good for something.

8. Crime. Always with the crime.

9. Motherfuckin' halflings on the motherfuckin' dinosaurs!!!

Character Goals:

Pel has a few goals, short and long term.

He would like to more deeply explore his faith and become more attuned and accomplised in it. In game terms that basically means more cleric levels, but it would also be interesting to work some stuff in plotwise. Doing the will of the Traveler and all that. I see this as an ongoing process.

He also very urgently intends to try to sort out the situation with the crime families in Sharn. Depose or dispose of Cord Lanner, promote Vadis, and set up that information "clearinghouse" he and Lysander discussed.

Jason Jones said...

Aww, man. I hate questions like this...

Okay, Lucan rocked, dangerous, slippery, maybe not as evil as advertised..fun stuff.

Location? Gotta go with a tie, so far....
Sharn is just cool, just like Chris said, lot's of layers.

That said, Xend'drick had some cool moments. I think the potential to really get crazy is locked up on that continent, though I'm not sure it's best for my character.

I think I could make a lot of money singing about the Wolves in Aruandair or whatever that farmer kingdom is called.

Adventure: Gotta agreaa, Vampire's Blade.

Goals.......hmmmm.

Lysander plans on gaing a few operatives of his own via the leadership feat, and a personal body guard. to the end of really using the Bard thing to begin to affect change. I think Lys is interested in causing ripples and making things interesting for everyone and everything around him. Hey, elf, long lived, bored. I also see him cultivating the 'play-elf' image as a singer and storyteller. It's a good cover for his real personality. I will be moving towards establishing my own powerbase and info network within the house and seeing what happens with my partnership with Pel.

Long term. Pel's devotion to the traveller interests Lys as his own beliefs are so sketchy, so he will pay attention and begin a seeking after the truth of the Gods. Also, it's time to start teaching the ballads of the Wolves to people and having them spread the word. Reputation is a powerful ally. Ultimately, pose a question and you know, Lys will dive in, let's see what we've got here..........

Jason Jones said...

Ah, favorite moment.....

coming soon

Blog Archive