Saturday, October 14, 2006

XP, Backup Characters, General Rules Notes

Since we'll have some time between now and the next Eberron session (I'm guessing December at the earliest, and with the holidays, probably January), it might be a good time to make sure everybody has at least one backup character built. Not that I'm *planning* on killing anyone, but... well, after that last fight, and a couple fatalities in the party, you all know Eberron is a dangerous place.

So... first off, my general ruling on XP for sessions: If your character is there, but you are not, that character will gain 1/2 XP for the session. This reflects a lighter usage of your character (mostly door opener and combat monster) when he's in someone else's hands, and also rewards folks for coming out to the game.

Backup characters will always be built one level behind the average level of the party, which as of the last adventure is now level 9. This does mean that resurrection, even though it costs a level, is just as viable an option as a backup character, *if* you can find someone to resurrect you. You will have the XP in the middle between the level you are and the level of the rest of the party.

So currently, if you build a backup character, that character is level 8, and has 32,000 XP. You can spend as much of that XP as you want on building magic or psionic items if you have Crafting feats, as long as you don't exceed the cash limits for those items.

Which are: You will start with the wealth indicated on the Character Wealth by Level table (DMG, p. 135). Currently, that is 27,000 gp. At least 20% of that wealth (5400 gp, in this case) must come into the campaign in liquid form, either as gold/platinum pieces, bags of gems or letters of credit from House Kundarak. Of the rest, you can spend no more than 9000 gp on any one item. This means that practically speaking, you're limited to +2 weapons and armor. In addition, any wondrous item that costs more than 2500 gp, or any item that comes from a source other than the main Eberron book or the DMG, is subject to GM approval. You'll probably get it, but I reserve the right to say no.

Also, on the store-related front: I'm making a change to the amount of money you get from selling magic items in the store. Since it's going to be harder to sell anything more unique or powerful, you're not going to get that cash as quickly. So what I'm going to do is, when you sell any item that is worth 5000 gp or less, you'll get 75% of its cost. When you sell an item that costs more than that but less than 10,000 gp, you'll get 60% of its cost. And when you sell an item that costs 10,000 gp or more, you'll get 55% of its cost.

This basically represents a longer time that your money is held in the Bank of Kundarak before you get a cash influx from somebody buying a magic item. If I wanted to get real complicated, I'd do something like put the items in a pool, roll randomly to see if someone bought them, give you the money for those then, but that would be a huge pain in the ass and it's easier to do it more abstractly like this. Seem fair to everyone?

Oh, and since we're most likely using FUDGE for Call of Cthulhu, I added a link to the FUDGE site and a PDF of the FUDGE rules (it's a free game) to the sidebar links.

6 comments:

Randy Lander said...

Chris and Nate,

Both of you have expressed interest in the Bone Knight. If you don't mind, can you explain the appeal? I'm a little uneasy with them, because they appear mostly designed as bad guys or as an excuse to play a character who has an "edge" (which can translate into "I can do whatever I want, I'm semi-evil?")

If you guys really want to play one, I can probably find a way to work one into the campaign, given the Wolves' heavy involvement with the Emerald Claw and the nation of Karrnath, but I'd like to know a little more about why you want to play it. Is there something about the class that you find intriguing, or is it because it's got cool class abilities and will let you play a somewhat evil character?

Nate Southard said...

Eh, I don't need to play a Bone Knight. For me, I was just trying to find a Cleric-related class that wasn't a, y'know... cleric. For me, I'm still caught in the allure of Prestige classes. I'd had an idea for a character who had left the Emerald Claw to aid the wolves, but that could just as easily be a Fighter/Cleric.

Some other ideas for backups I had. Feel free to say yay or nay...

1)The Alchemist Savant. After reading the rules, it almost looks like a class I'd never advance in, since I'd constantly be spending XP.

2)Renegade Masterworker. Mostly for the roleplaying. Would probably be True Neutral.

3)Had an idea for a Dwarven Fighter/Rogue or somesuch who would be muscle for House (ah, can't remember the money house). Much like the Bone Knight, might be a part of the unrealistic, semi-evil variety.

4)I kinda like the idea of The Deadgrim, and we have been facing A LOT of undead. I'd have to read up on it some more, though.

Randy Lander said...

If you really want to do something interesting, play a cleric of the Silver Flame as a backup. ;) They're not all jerkasses, in fact the religion is *supposed* to be one dedicated to fighting evil. You guys just happened to have met up with the most fanatical jerks of the bunch.

Oh, and we'll be getting to Luggoth's family and history sooner rather than later.

A Deadgrim, especially one with a hatred for the Emerald Claw in particular, would probably make a good ally for the Wolves.

A member of the King's Dark Lanterns, would be interesting, now that you've met two of them, both on relatively friendly terms (well, three if you count Lucan, but those were special circumstances), and there is a certain Breland loyalty amongst the Wolves.

I like the idea of a House Kundarak dwarf fighter/rogue who is sort of a freelance security expert concerned with money. Might be someone who joins the Wolves as part of an arrangement regarding their growing Kundarak bank account or something.

Nobody has played a monk, and there are probably some interesting orders in Eberron.

Chris said...

I like the Bone Knights b/c they're totally metal! I don't see them as necessarily evil, per se, esp. in the context of Karnathi culture, with it's bent toward necromancy.

The character example given in Five Nations is Lawful Neutral, and I think the backup character I already worked on is Lawful Good - a Paladin working towards Bone Knight (actually, if I level him up to seventh he'll attain some levels in the class). They're disciplined soldiers, which implies Lawful to me, and not carte blanche for bad behavior.

The class does have some neat abilities, but mostly just I like it b/c it's grim and creepy. A Bone Knight would make an awesome bad guy, but, to me, an even more interesting good guy. Unless I'm totally off base, animating and controlling undead, and the undead themselves (e.g. Lucan), in Eberron doesn't seem to be an "a priori" evil - more of a "depends who you ask" thing. Cultural relativism seems to be part of the setting's design.

I'm not married to it, and honestly I'm not sure how well one would fit in to the rest of the group - I just think it would be cool.

All if this is moot anyway as Pel is not going to die.

Again.

Randy Lander said...

Heh. Cool, good to know. You're right in your interpretation of the undead and the bone knights as not necessarily evil (all of Eberron carries a moral flexibility incompatible in some ways with D&D's alignment, witness some of the "Lawful Good" paladins you've run into).

But I also have the concern about how one would fit in with the Wolves, who don't really seem the type to have a paladin (bone knight or otherwise) alongside them. You guys have always been a bit more rough and tumble.

So I guess if either or both you wanted to run Bone Knights, I'd be OK with it... but I might also suggest that you save the concept for a future campaign, or for when the Wolves have a pretty heavy upheaval in membership, as they seem an odd fit for the current group.

Nate Southard said...

Randy, did you you receive the back-up character I sent you, or is my email crapping out again? I sent the email on Saturday, I believe.

Blog Archive