Monday, May 01, 2006

Roughly Three Weeks Have Passed...

Barrakas 14 - Rhaan 10, YK 998

Since the end of your journey into Whitehearth. The journey back to Sharn aboard the elemental galleon Windrider took four days. During this time, you served as escorts and bodyguards to Lady Elaydren. William stepped up his flirtation with Elaydren, but learned that she is promised to someone within Cannith South, a political marriage to strengthen ties within the branches of the house, and could only politely refuse his advances. However, she did invite everyone to House Cannith's Boldrei's Feast celebration on 9 Rhaan, after you returned to Sharn. The journey was uneventful, and you arrived safe and sound in Sharn on 18 Barrakas. (Barrakas is equivalent to late summer, August, and Rhaan the beginnings of autumn, or September).

Brand and William spent a couple of days selling Talaen Kara, aggravating the Valenar delegation in Sharn with their haggling. Tock set immediately to work on more items, since he had 18 days to work before the Boldrei's Feast celebration. (Nate, this means you have 20 days worth of work time before the next adventure, because you'll have a couple of days after the celebration as well. You can have 21 if you skip the feast and celebration, although I can't see your character missing the chance to rub elbows with House Cannith).

Group Decisions - Shortly after your return, William was approached by Dastok, a gnome who writes for the Korranberg Chronicle. He asked to do a profile on the Wandering Wolves and their adventures in Rose Quarry and the Mournland, especially insofar as your run-ins with the Emerald Claw. There's no money for doing such a profile, but the piece would grant you an increased profile. Of course, it also might get read by William's mother, unless he uses a pseudonym.

I don't remember exactly how much gold you have, and I need to see the party treasure list to be exactly sure. But I know you made a lot of gold selling off equipment, and you were given 3000 gp by Lady Elaydren for your services. You'll probably want to spend a lot of that on magical items, I know. If you were serious about Ben's suggestion to open a shop in order to sell your adventuring spoils, however, you might consider investing in that. An average shop, which is the minimum you'd need to sell the kind of equipment you're trying to, would cost 4000 gp to set up. If you do decide to set up a shop, I'll make a d20 roll at the beginning and end of each adventurer to see how the shop is doing. On a 1, you guys lost money, and need to chip in 50 gp to keep the store up and running. On a 2-9, you broke even. On a 10-19, you made (after costs of labor, inventory, etc.) 50 gp. On a 20, you had a fantastic month, and made 250 gp. Perhaps most importantly, I'll give you 3/4 of the value of all items you sell instead of 1/2. Not full value, because I want to represent unsold inventory, etc., but 3/4. I might occasionally give you full value on particularly unique or cool items, I'll reserve judgement on that.

Whether you get a shop or not, you guys should consider where your characters spend their downtime, and if they want some kind of base of operations. This could be a tavern, but you might also consider joining one of the two adventuring guilds in Sharn. It's 13 gp annually to join Clifftop, and 12 gp to join Deathsgate (total for the group, not per character). This provides some benefits, including a +2 on Knowledge (Dungeoneering) checks concerning Xen'drik at the guildhouse, cheap and safe lodgings, storage in the voluminous vaults at the guildhall (free for a week, 5 gp/week beyond that), references for trustworthy hirelings and a general sharing of information to help find jobs or expeditions. It would also help your reputation to be affiliated with one of the guilds. Deathsgate is closer to your usual tavern, university and Sivis message station haunts, being in Middle Tavick's Landing, but Clifftop is the more reputable guild. Clifftop tends to attract more good-aligned adventurers, while Deathsgate is the home of those with a more neutral or evil bent. You all tend more toward the neutral, but affiliating yourself with Deathsgate could lend your band a bit of a sinister reputation is you're not careful. However, you might find many of the guild members of Clifftop insufferable in their more good-aligned personalities. Up to you.

William - After his service to Lady Elaydren, he was recommended for personal security to a number of people within the House and its allies. If William would like, he can hire out as a bodyguard to various members of House Cannith and other wealthy members of society in the ensuing weeks. He has to ensure that these duties don't conflict with his job at Morgrave, which means he can only work about five of the 18 days available... but if he takes on the bodyguarding assignments, he makes 8 gp per day, after paying his dues back to House Deneith.

Brand - Brand took a trip out to the Eldeen Reaches to see his mother, find out if Rorsa and her pack had settled in and get his birthday gift. The trip would take about two and a half days each way on horseback (Light Magebred Horse), which I presume is how Brand would want to travel to avoid attention from House Orien. This means you'll need to lay out 150 gp for a magebred horse. Alternatively, you can manage 7 days each way if you ride on an Orien caravan, and that'll cost only 11 gp each way.

When Brand arrived, he found Rorsa and her pack waiting for him. It had taken them 5 days to get to the Eldeen Reaches, and they had struggled some in the Mournland, battling some of the magical abominations in that cursed land as well as getting lost in the dead-gray mist that surrounds it. They had lost three members of the pack on the way out, bringing her pack down to five wolves. However, they were very grateful to Brand for his help, and very much liked the Eldeen Reaches as their new home.

The gift for Brand was something that had been delivered by an adventuring shifter druid/ranger named Url Cornaway, ostensibly from Brand's father. There was a handwritten note that said "I heard you liked maps. This is a present for your next birthday." The note was attached to a hand-drawn map of a ruined giant town and temple, clearly from somewhere in Xen'drik. There wasn't enough context to figure out where in Xen'drik, but it's still a map of great value for potential explorers or collectors. If Brand was to sell it (and I can't imagine he would, given the sentimental value, but it's your call), he could get 200 gp for it from his bosses at Morgrave.

Tock - Once again, Tock has been spending most of his downtime in Goath's artificer workshop. Goath is pleased to see the warforged coming along with his studies, although he's starting to hint that with your increasing skill, it might be time to start thinking about your own workshop and maybe to begin teaching others or even taking on an apprentice.

Lysander - Lysander's mentor Chiarlan finished his run at the Khavish Theatre in the first week of Rhaan, and departed from Sharn. However, his visit paid off big-time for Lysander. On 25 Barrakas, the actor playing Devost in Kinlen's Folly decided to join a traveling troupe on a tour throughout Khorvaire, and Lysander went from understudy to regular supporting cast in the play at Gailan's. His performances have been earning good reviews in the pages of the Sharn Inquisitive, and while the money isn't great by adventuring standards, it is putting a few extra silver into his pocket every week.

Pel - Pel made his monthly visit to The Cracked Mirror to check in with Xain. If you guys wanted to sell the creation pattern or the extra schema, Xain would be the person to hand it off to. You can get 1000 gp for the schema and 3000 gp for the creation pattern... however, if you do sell it through Xain, it's more than likely to wind up in the hands of either the Lord of Blades or the Emerald Claw. At any rate, Pel can pass on the information about Whitehearth and the map to the other Cannith facilities to the Tyrants.

The war with Moloch continues, and several lower-level members of the Tyrants have been sent to the House Jorasco healing houses by the Daask turf war. Cord is getting some heat from the higher-ups in the Tyrants over this war, and Pel's father is making cautious, covert overtures to Moloch to settle the turf war, possibly getting Cord displaced or at least shamed.

In addition, Pel gets a warning that an agent of the King's Dark Lanterns (think of them like the FBI for the King of Breland) named Lucan Stellos has been looking into spy networks in Sharn. He's thus far clear of the Tyrants, but Pel should keep his eyes open.

5 comments:

Paul Benjamin said...

Brand wants nothing to do with Dastok and his Korranberg Chronicle interview and cautions you all to turn him away. Chronicling our adventures will only give our enemies insights into our movements. Even if we add disinformation, a savvy enemy could read between the lines. If you do choose to do it, that's your affair, but make no mention of Brand and his role in the adventures.

I agree that we should set up the shop. Ben is right that it should be separate from our group. Perhaps Pel could create an alternate identity to be the store owner? After that 4,000 we should have around 5,400 left to spend. We could consider some combination of the following: Boots of Striding & Springing: 2,750 (to pump up William), an Amulet of Natural Armor +1: 1,000 (for Pel or Lysander), Boots or a Cloak of Elvenkind (for us to share depending on who scouts): 1,250. That leaves us with 400 for potions or future needs. I also think we should consider joining Clifftop.

Brand will spend the 150 to buy a magebred horse. I'd like to get one focused on speed. I'll post later on what the stats should be as far as I can tell and give it a name. Does this schedule give me a week to teach it one new trick or can I teach it more as we ride? As for the map, I'm not going to sell it. However, can anyone think of a reason not to sell the copy of the schema? Would we think that might somehow be useful to someone for creating a true dupe or does it just have value because the buyers will think it's real?

Randy Lander said...

The duplicate of the schema is an exact (functional) copy. It is made of adamantine and enchanted, not breakable by your characters.

However, the Lord of Blades currently does not have any schema that I remember. The Emerald Claw vampire, however, said third schema, which leads you to believe that they have a second schema not possessed by House Cannith. So the score is Cannith-2, Wandering Wolves-1 + creation pattern and Emerald Claw-1

Brand, you will have basically two weeks to teach your new magebred horse tricks. I figure you can't teach him/her when riding to and from Eldeen, but otherwise you've got some free time to do so. The template for magebred animals is on Eberron Campaign Setting, page 295, so just apply that template to a Light Riding Horse and you'll be all set.

I hear two votes for the shop, and what I think are two good ideas related to it, namely distancing your adventuring group from it and having Pel create an alternate identity to "own" it. Jason, Chris, Nate, what are your thoughts in regard to a shop?

Jason Jones said...

I'm for the shop within the stated guidelines. Also, Randy, Lys will begin work on an epic ballad that will cover our parties adventures with an eye towards writing it as a cycle. We can handle that however you'd like, using performance rolls or craft? But I'd need to specify some skill points towards writing next level, so let me know.

Looks like I have to be out on the 19th. I'm performing a wedding in Portland, Oregon and won't be available. Probably Chris or Ben should run Lys 'cause I usually end up teamed with them situationally.

Any chance i can use some party treasure to get a +1 Rapier? I would like to lose the longsword in favor of a weapon I can take finesse in, but not at the cost of having a magic weapon, let me know what you guys think.

And I'll stay where i am armor wise until I can get something that suits me better.

Paul Benjamin said...

Brand would also be interested in trading in his +1 longsword towards a +1 rapier to take advantage of his Weapon Finesse feat. However, he can wait on that depending on funds.

Here are stats for Brand's magebred horse, LANDSTRIDER. I'll post them in his character sheet as well. I also need to check the books, as a believe I read somewhere that a horse bought for riding would already know several tricks.

Landstrider
Magebred Light Riding Horse
STR 16, DEX 17, CON 17, INT 2, WIS 12, CHA 6, BAB/Grapple +2/+8, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +2, Init +1 (+4), AC 17 (Touch 14, Flat Footed 14), Speed 70', HP 30

Skills: Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Endurance, Run, Excellent Learner, Alertness
Tricks (8): Come, Stay
Special Abilities: Low Light Vision, Scent
Weapons/Attacks: -1 (1d4+2, Hoof), -1/-1 (1d4+2, Full Attack, 2 Hooves)

Randy Lander said...

Selling a +1 Longsword (in your shop) and trading it in for a +1 Rapier would cost the party 585 gp per rapier, or 1170 each. With the 4000 gp that kicks off the shop, that would drain the party treasury down to 4568 gp.

It sounds like the motion to open a shop has been carried. We can sort out the name of the shop and any specifics tonight before we start gaming.

Jason, Lys's creation of an epic ballad would probably be a Craft (Writing or Composing) for anyone else, but I'm going to stipulate that story creation is sort of a Bard "class ability" and thus comes from his Perform ability, so no need to spend extra ranks on Craft.

As for out on the 19th, that's cool... I might be able to get Dave to come in and sub if that'd be OK with you, he plays a bard in his other campaign and has had some interest in checking out Eberron.

Blog Archive